MARITIME PROPULSION TECHNOLOGY
Rudder propeller systems are combined propulsion and control systems with power transmission currently up to 7,500 kW. Because these systems are capable of rotating 360 degrees, this propulsive power can also be used for maneuvering and dynamic positioning of ships and oil rigs.
Lateral or bow thrusters are control systems that are mounted laterally with respect to the actual direction of travel; they are used to improve maneuverability and thus for precise positioning of ships. Particularly in rudder propeller systems, which are subjected to high loads, the bevel gears used must demonstrate great reliability and durability even under the most extreme external conditions.
Klingelnberg is the world's leading manufacturer of large bevel gears with ring gear diameters up to 3,000 mm – the kind used in maritime propulsion and control systems, among other applications. Klingelnberg's expertise in this area stretches from a totally integrated analysis of the propulsion system with calculations and simulations, all the way to an optimized process chain for these gear components. Moreover, Klingelnberg's many years of experience and its certification by all major classification societies are the customer's guarantee of the utmost product quality.
THE KLINGELNBERG ADVANTAGE
- World's largest, most modern production facility for large bevel gears in Hückeswagen, Germany, operated according to lean production and lean management principles .
- Certification by all major classification societies (DNV, ABS, BV, GL, LRS, CCS, RMRS, etc.).
- Unsurpassed expertise in the calculation, configuration, simulation, and optimization of bevel gears.
- State-of-the-art monitoring of the heat treatment process in company-owned hardening shop.
- Oerlikon Spiral Bevel Gear Cutting Machine C 300, the world's largest bevel gearing machine for dry-machining of large bevel gears with ring gear diameters up to 3,000 mm.
- Gearing loops for bevel gears with ring gear diameters up to approx. 1,000 mm.
- Closed-loop method for every process step guarantees transparency and documented quality for every phase in the manufacturing process and enables cost-effective production in batch size 1.
- Extensive measuring devices for determining and documenting the macro and micro geometry, also for large components.
- Systematic use of Klingelnberg's KIMoS calculation software in all process chain steps relevant for gearing.
- Optimal bearing pattern geometry through surface modifications, taking account of in-process displacements in the bevel gear stage.
- Determination of in-process displacement parameters of a bevel gear set through static and dynamic analysis of the complete system.
- Digital documentation of all production data.